Friday, September 12, 2003

Poetry

He wears a Harvard t-shirt
As he steps on the bus
Coming from the community college
Does he see the irony in it?
I turn my gaze back to my book
After all, you don't want to get caught
noticing other people
Not on the bus in the city
I wonder if he has Harvard dreams
Ivy league friends, afternoons of rugby
Dreams of a six digit starting salary
If you study hard enough
Want it bad enough
It can happen
Another pretty lie told to children
Does he know he's too old to believe this?
That he should be cynical and jaded
Just like the rest of us
There is no room for Harvard dreams
Not on this city bus.




water is a purifying substance
cool caresses of the river
wrapped in a lover's embrace in the shower
sweet kiss, to temper the flames that burn with in
they still rise, higher and hotter
never cooling down, always continuing to grow
I fear what may happen
if they are able to get out of my control
surely something I will regret
my heart burnt out, broken by my own hands
soul a charred pile, smoldering ash
I will lay down in cool water tonight
I will tie cinder blocks to my hands
to my feet
I will not allow this fire to consume me
I will not be my own angel of death
instead I will fill my lungs with this divine gift
and become my own
angel of mercy




I have breathed in the moon
I have known what it is to truly love
I have been my own best friend
my own worst enemy
I have spent summer days that never ended
I have spent nights that were eternal
I have known desire's touch and the star's sweet kiss
I have been caressed by the sun
I have been warmed by a mother's endless love
I have known divinity, and the meaning of sacredness
I have known what it is to be at peace with all things
somehow though, it isn't enough




the stars kiss me, sweet and shyly
the moon has embraced me, cool and soft
she has called me her daughter
claimed me as her own

it's never the same after
the sun seems too bright
too hot and cruel
the cover of night is my only sanctuary

I become more like her
cool, distant, mesmerizing, aloof
I am thin, then round, then thin again
until finally in the night I slip into nothing at all

look for me not on the cold earth
but in the expanse of the sky
I will kiss you still
with the shy and sweet kiss of starlight

(All from 09-12-03)

No comments: