Thursday, December 21, 2006

An older poem

So, I'm going to be seeing my father on Christmas, and spending a day with him next week. I have to admit, I'm a little nervous about this. I'm sure everything will go fine, and it will be a lovely time and all of that. I'm just not sure how I'm going to feel about our relationship after I see him. Sure, now I can say that the arrangement we have works perfectly well for me. It's a lot easier to say when you haven't seen some one in a year and a half. I'm hoping I'll be able to say the same thing next Thursday night.

At any rate, I wrote this poem in August, and appearently never posted it. So here it is, my poem about my father-

Cool and distant

I am the moon in your sky
you love to lift me up
and watch me shine
you always leave me hanging
alone in cold empty space
oh, would that I were the sun!
with the power to burn,
to keep you far away
never close enough
to hear you say
that you love me
and want to be near me
never close enough to hurt me
I wish for your love, your approval
I wish for things I will never have
I hang cold and silent
closing in on myself
hiding my light inch by inch
in hopes of evading your grasp

08-16-06

No comments: