Thursday, August 17, 2006

Homesick

I am so fucking homesick right now. All I want is to be back in Vermont. Back among the mountains. With out them around me I feel lost. Exposed. I'm terrified that I might never get back. So here's to the Green Mountain State, and the piece of my soul that will always reside there.


"The mountains are calling and I must go." (John Muir)




"Thousands of tired, nerve-shaken, over-civilized people are beginning to find out that going to the mountain is going home; that wildness is necessity; that mountain parks and reservations are useful not only as fountains of timber and irrigating rivers, but as fountains of life." (John Muir)




"No matter how sophisticated you may be, a large granite mountain cannot be denied - it speaks in silence to the very core of your being." (Ansel Adams)




"Autumn is a second spring when every leaf is a flower." (Albert Camus)




"In the depth of winter I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer." (Albert Camus)





"In some mysterious way woods have never seemed to me to be static things. In physical terms, I move through them; yet in metaphysical ones, they seem to move through me." (John Fowles)








"I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order. " (John Burroughs
)







"Marry a mountain girl and you marry the whole mountain. " (Irish Saying)









"Once you have heard the lark, known the swish of feet through hill-top grass and smelt the earth made ready for the seed, you are never again going to be fully happy about the cities and towns that man carries like a crippling weight upon his back". (Gwyn Thomas)





There you have it folks- my photo tribute to Vermont.

No comments: