Friday, November 03, 2006

Songs for the ocean

A Letter To Elise - The Cure

Oh Elise it doesn't matter what you say
I just can't stay here every yesterday
Like we keep on acting out the same
The way we act out
Every way to smile, forget
And make-believe we never needed
Any more than this, any more than this

Oh Elise it doesn't matter what you do
I know I'll never really get inside of you
To make your eyes catch fire the way they should
The way the blue could pull me in
If they only would, if they only would
At least I'd lose this sense of sensing something else
That hides away

From me to you there are worlds to part
With aching looks and breaking hearts
And all the prayers your hands can make
Oh I just take as much as you can throw
And then throw it all away, oh I throw it all away

Like throwing faces at the sky like throwing arms round
Yesterday I stood and stared wide-eyed in front of you
And the face I saw looked back the way I wanted to
But I just can't hold my tears away the way you do

Elise believe I never wanted this
I thought this time I'd keep all of my promises
I thought you were the girl I always dreamed about
But I let the dream go
And the promises broke and the make-believe ran out...

So Elise it doesn't matter what you say
I just can't stay here every yesterday
Like keep on acting out the same
The way we act out
Every way to smile, forget
And make-believe we never needed
Any more than this, any more than this

And every time I try to pick it up
Like falling sand as fast as I pick it up
It runs away through my clutching hands
But there's nothing else I can really do
There's nothing else I can really do
There's nothing else I can really do
At all...


Loose Ends - Imogen Heap

we're kissing without kissing
got it down to a fine art
love's supposed to keep you young & frisky
we grew up and wide apart
not now not ever, no it's never a good time
how will the good times ever roll along
comparing photos that are no longer there
just wondering where it all went wrong

it's complicated
this time I think it could be
triangulated
it could be just what we need
so what you say we give it up and walk away
we're overrated anyway


Northern Lad - Tori Amos

...
He don't show much these days, it's gets so fucking cold
I loved his secret places, but I can't go anymore
"You change like sugar cane" says my northern lad
I guess you go too far when pianos try to be guitars

I feel the west in you
And I feel it falling apart too
Don't say that you don't
And if you could see me now
Said if you could see me now
Girls you've got to know
When it's time to turn the page
When you're only wet
Because of the rain


Strange - Tori Amos

Strange, thought I knew you well
Thought I had read the sky
Thought I had read a change in your eyes
So strange
Woke up to a world that I am not a part
Except when I can play it's stranger

...

"Just stay," you said "we'll build a nest"
So I left my life
Tried on your friends, tried on your opinions
So when the bridges froze
and you did not come home
I put our snowflake under a microscope

After all what was I really looking for
and I wonder when will I learn
Maybe my wish knew better than I did
and I wonder when will I learn
when will I learn
guess I was in deeper than I thought I was
if I have enough love for the both of us

so strange now I'm finally in
the party has begun
it's not like I can't feel you still
but strange
what I will leave behind
you call me one more time
but now I must be leaving

No comments: